fbpx

Accessibility Tools

Events Search

ABCD for Inclusion

Monday, 22 April 2024 at 9:30 am - 4:30 pm

Online Event

Young People & First Nations people (15 to 25 years) - $110 | Community and Volunteers - $275 | Not for Profit - $440 | Government/Corporate - $715

Visit the page of this event

Workshop

This session will explore and discuss how we intentionally introduce community-centered work as a legitimate and important part of person-centered work. Through this workshop, participants will learn, discuss and practice person centered and community centered approaches.

This session will explore and discuss how we intentionally introduce community-centered work as a legitimate and important part of person-centered work.

Through this workshop, participants will learn, discuss and practice person-centered and community-centered approaches through:

• Discussing the principles and philosophy of ABCD
  • Practical strategies to find and engage community assets
  • Principles of Community Mobilization
  • Discovering Care & Learning Conversations
  • Exploring how agencies and communities work together more effectively
  • Building an ABCD community partnership
  • Practising with effective tools, circles of support, mapping relationships and harmonising the things worth doing

Anyone who wants to explore participatory inclusion and collaboration in communities:

• Business leaders and social entrepreneurs
  • Community members and not-for-profit leaders
  • Community organisers and their teams
  • Next-generation leaders and other young activists
  • Local, State and Federal Department leaders, Policy Officers and Program Managers
  • NDIS directors, team leaders, planners, Local Area Coordinators, Coordinators of support and support workers

This training will run from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, with breaks for lunch (45 minutes) and some mini breaks as well (10 - 15 minutes)

If cost is a barrier, please let us know.

Your hosts for this event are:

Dee Brooks - Through her down-to-earth style, Dee Brooks brings people together in dynamic ways to realise and engage the full potential of their networks and communities. Dee is an Intentional Nomad who has travelled and worked in over 20 countries. Based on two decades of grassroots work, her work has inspired people at hundreds of events and workshops worldwide, where she offers community engagement and development training and also provides professional co-design, facilitation and keynote addresses for conferences, forums and events.

Fiona Miller - Fiona is a creative conduit with a diverse background that includes community development, creative & visual arts, early years, education, bushfire recovery, inclusion, community houses, community gardens and more. Having worked within various organisations/agencies and local governments, she has a broad understanding of the diversity of organisational structures.
Her focus is as a facilitator, graphic harvester or community member, contributing to the community by making great places and participating in sustainable community-led projects. She loves nothing more than watching people and projects grow and uses creative arts, ABCD and strengths-based practices as platforms for discovering and exploring community futures.
Supporting our young people to explore their own place within the community is something she sees as particularly important. Everyone deserves to feel safe and included, and we can build relationships and have fun while we do it.

Vic Tyler - I am an educator and trainer. I established and managed a tertiary college called “Art and Pottery School”. I established a primary and secondary school” Fern Valley Montessori School” I am a current Director of “Kieran and Matt’s Place Ltd’ a not-for-profit that manages a group home that uses self-management principles and focuses on Person Centered Practice and active support to achieve goals and outcomes.

I have completed the Masters of Health Science (Developmental Disability) at The University of Sydney with major studies in Mental Health and Disability. I have experience in preparing behaviour support plans, support coordination, and client assessment to enable a good life and reduce restrictive practices. I have a passion for the inclusion of marginalized people. Empowering and enabling the community has been a major driver throughout my life journey.