Accessibility Tools

sausages in an aluminum tray

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced the federal election for 2022 will be held on Saturday 21 May. It is your job to make sure you are enrolled to vote, that your enrolment details are up to date and to vote for your preferred candidate in your electorate.

The Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) is responsible for organising the election and maintaining the electoral roll. If you are an Australian citizen aged 18 years or older, you are required to vote in the federal election.

Check your enrolment

You must be correctly enrolled by 8 pm local time Monday 18 April 2022. You can check your enrolment details online. For privacy reasons, the AEC can only confirm your details if they are an exact match to your details on the electoral roll.

If you can’t confirm your enrolment details online, it doesn't mean you are not on the electoral roll. You can contact the AEC to double-check.

Update your details

If your details are out of date because you have moved house or changed your name, then you must update them before Monday 18 April 2022 at 8 pm local time.

You can also update contact details like your phone or email address.

You can update your details on the electoral roll online. If you can’t fill out the form online, then you should contact the AEC.

Enrol to vote

It is compulsory by law for all eligible Australian citizens to enrol and vote in federal elections, by-elections, and referendums.

If you are over 18 and able to vote and have not been on the electoral roll or have been removed, then you should enrol to vote.

You have until Monday 18 April 2022 at 8 pm local time to enrol in time for the 2022 Federal Election.

You can enrol online, or you can:

The enrolment deadline of 8 pm local time Monday 18 April 2022 occurs during the Easter public holiday. If you plan to post your paper enrolment application back to the AEC, you will need to do so by no later than when post boxes close on Wednesday 13 April 2022. The AEC strongly suggest you use the online enrolment form or upload your paper form instead.

What if you’re affected by floods?

If you are temporarily displaced from your enrolled address due to a flood or other natural disaster, you may remain enrolled at that address. If you would like to add a temporary postal address to your enrolment record, you can use the online enrolment form to update your contact details.

Remember to update the temporary postal address once your circumstances have changed.

If the floods have caused you to move to somewhere you now consider to be a permanent address, then you should update your enrolment.

Enrolment information and forms are also available for people who are homeless or have no fixed residential address.

Easy Read guides

These guides explain how to enrol to vote and how to vote in the federal election. They are from the AEC.

The information in these guides is written in an easy-to-read way.

Pictures are used to explain some ideas.

Information for people with disabilities or mobility issues

More information on voting and enrolling for people with disabilities is available from the AEC, including Auslan and captioned information for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. 

Visit AEC - Information for people with disabilities  for more information 

Contact the AEC

Call 13 23 26
Visit aec.gov.au 

 IDEAS does information so you can do life.