Latest COVID updates for VIC. House with unlocked padlock symbol. i ideas. IDEAS does information so you can do life.

COVID-19 restrictions in Victoria are changing. Here is the information for your state. 

Skip to: Easy Read | Restrictions | Social Gathering | Face coverings | Education and Childcare | Religion and Ceremony Indoor Physical Recreation and Sport | Play Centres | Outdoor Sport | General retail | Hospital and Care facilities | Authorised providers and Authorised Workers QR Codes | Travel permitsMore info 

Easy English 

The rules for people living in Victoria

A range of accessible communications are now available regarding the current restrictions: 

Access Easy English has made an Easy English version of the current rules: Easy English Victoria Lockdown 16 July 2021 [PDF]

Restrictions in Victoria

All of Victoria will lockdown from 11:59 pm Thursday 15 July until 11:59 pm Tuesday 27th July.

Dan Andrews highlighted today the 20th July  "We know for some families of kids that have got special needs, educating at homes, home schooling is incredibly difficult. Where that is causing real hardship ... schools will be open for those kids. We thank staff and teachers for the amazing work they do."

Information below sourced from Statement By the Premier

There are again only 5 reasons to leave your home. They are:

  • Shopping for food and supplies within the 5-kilometre radius, one person per household, once per day. A support person can accompany if required.
  • Exercise (up to two hours, with one other person or members of your household)
  • Compassionate care, caregiving and medical reasons
  • Authorised work
  • To get vaccinated
  • Face masks are mandatory indoors (not at home) for anyone aged 12 years and over unless an exception applies - See Masks and Disability for reasons you do not have to wear a mask.
  • They must also be worn outdoors when you cannot remain socially distanced
  • Check-in everywhere you visit using the Service Victoria QR code app, no matter how long you spend at that location.

Case Alerts and Public Exposure sites. 

These premises have either had confirmed cases visit during their infectious period or are sites where a confirmed case may have acquired their infection. This does not mean that there is an ongoing risk associated with the premises. You can safely visit the site in line with current restrictions.

A list of Public Exposure sites in Victoria notes any sites of risk of exposure to COVID-19.


Social gatherings visitors and leaving home

Stay at home unless:

• shopping for necessary goods and services (one person per household, once per day, a support person can accompany if required)
• caregiving or compassionate reasons
• authorised work or permitted education, or work interstate
• exercise (up to two hours, with one other person or members of your household)
• receive a vaccination
• other specified reasons (specific exemptions apply)

Intrastate travel:

Travel limit of 5km from place of primary residence, except:

• to return home
• to access necessary goods and services where those goods and services cannot be accessed closer than 5kms from home.
• to visit an intimate partner
• to visit a person in your “single bubble”
• allowed to travel for authorised work and permitted education
• work at an interstate location (where permitted by another state)
• care and compassionate reasons (specific exemptions apply)

Face coverings:

• must be carried at all times
• must be worn indoors and outdoors except if at home, or when visiting an intimate partner’s place of residence or if an exemption applies

Private gatherings:

Not permitted, intimate partner visits / single bubble permitted

Public gatherings:

Not permitted Work: If you can work from home, you must work from home
• Authorised workplaces and workers defined in the attachment below

Education and Childcare

Early learning centres, childcare, family daycare: Open

Schools: Remote learning for most students but open to vulnerable children and the children of essential workers.

Higher education and training: Closed, remote learning only unless permitted study

Religion and ceremony

Religious gatherings and ceremonies:

No in-person gatherings permitted. Broadcast permitted

Funerals (indoor and outdoor):

Permitted with no more than 10 people (and those necessary to conduct the funeral). Children under 12 months old are not counted towards this cap

Weddings (indoor and outdoor): Not permitted unless end of life or for deportation reasons. Involves only 5 persons (including the two persons being married, celebrant, two witnesses)

Indoor physical recreation & sport 

  • Closed

Play centres, indoor skateparks, indoor trampolining centres


Outdoor physical recreation & sport

Closed: Outdoor playgrounds, skateparks and gym equipment remain open

Creative Studios Closed

General retail

Essential retail: Open, DQ 1 per 4sqm

Other/general retail: Closed (open for contactless click and collect only)

Auction houses: Closed (open for online only)

These venues must have a COVID Check-in Marshal at all the entrances to the facility to require check in via the Service Victoria app.

Entertainment and Leisure

Indoor and Outdoor fixed seated entertainment: Closed

Non-seated indoor venues: Closed

Non-seated outdoor venues: Closed

Arcades, escape rooms, bingo centres: Closed

Drive-in cinemas: Closed

Amusement parks: Closed

Casinos: Closed

Retail betting venue: Closed

Electronic gaming: Closed

Sex on premises, brothels and sexually explicit venues: Closed

Public events and business events Events:

Cannot proceed under these settings. Exception for professional sport where no crowds are present

Hairdressing, beauty, personal care



Open for take-away only


Closed unless for permitted reasons, or shelter in place. No new bookings except for authorised reasons

Real Estate Services Inspections:

Closed Auctions: Closed (remote auctions only)

Tours and transport

Tourism spaces: Closed

Tour transport: Closed

Care Facility Visitors

Visitor restrictions:

• For permitted purposes only.
• No more than two visitors per day.
• A group may exceed the “two visitors at a time” rule if dependents of a visitor are in the group and care for the dependents cannot be arranged.

Hospital Visitors

Visitors restrictions:

• For permitted purposes only.
• No more than two visitors per day.
• A group may exceed the “two visitors at a time” rule if dependents of a visitor are in the group and care for the dependents cannot be arranged.



The following businesses can open under circuit breaker restrictions. If their employees are unable to work from home they can leave home to attend work:

• a supermarket, grocery store, bakery, butcher, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger; or

• an indoor or outdoor market, but only to obtain groceries or fresh food; or

• a restaurant, café, pub, bar or hotel, whether licensed or unlicensed, but only to the extent that:

• it provides takeaway meals or drinks or a meal delivery service; or
• it provides food, drink, accommodation or other essential services to those seeking shelter (for example, for reasons of homelessness or family violence); or

• a bottle shop; or

• a financial institution; or

• consular and diplomatic services; or

• court, tribunal or commission services;

• a post office; or

• a news agent; or

• a pharmacy; or

• a petrol station (including a petrol station that sells groceries); or

• vehicle and mechanical repair services; or

• construction; or

• a pet store; or

• a veterinary clinic, and related services (on-farm visits and animal care services) where there is a genuine animal welfare issue, or for the purposes of artificial insemination; or

• an abattoir, meat, seafood or poultry processing plant; or

• urgent services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises; or

• immunisation or vaccination services; or

• essential child protection activities; or

• a childcare, early learning centre, kindergarten, preschool or family day care provider; or

• a primary or secondary school; or

• a boarding school; or

• a ‘click and collect’ service; or

• a locksmith’s; or

• a community facility (for click and collect only); or

• carparks for the purposes of supporting an Authorised Provider or Authorised Worker; or

• labour hire when servicing an Authorised Provider; or

• laundry and dry cleaners; or

• commercial cleaners.

Authorised Workers

Any person who performs work that is essential for the continued operation of:

• an Authorised Provider; or

• authorised health services; or

• funerary or mortuary services or related activities; or

• marriage celebrant only if one or both of the two persons being married are at the end of life, or will be deported from Australia unless the marriage takes place; or

• emergency services, including both volunteers and paid workers in:

• the State Emergency Services; and
• firefighting services; and
• paramedical services; and 5
• ambulance and paramedics services; and
• air ambulance and medical retrieval services (including Royal Flying Doctor Service); and
• Victoria Police employees, Protective Services Officers and police custody officers; and
• military and defence services deployed for activities in Victoria; or
• state security or national security; or

• essential infrastructure and essential services that are required to maintain or protect human health, safety and wellbeing (whether provided by a public or private undertaking), and including construction, maintenance and repair of such infrastructure; or

• critical repairs to any premises where required for emergency or safety; or

• faith leaders broadcasting services and ceremonies at places of worship; or

• retail goods workers supporting the operation of click and collect or click and deliver orders; or

• health practitioners, including medical, nursing, midwifery and allied health students on placement, when undertaking critical training and examinations; or

• allied health professionals working in private or public community services, whether clinic-based or home-based, providing essential clinical care where telehealth services are not clinically appropriate;

• Example: orthotists and prosthetists providing services such as fitting a brace post-surgery.

• maternal and child health workers providing essential care to newborns or at-risk babies and children; or

• a person who is critical to, and involved in, the State’s COVID-19 response (including in hotel quarantine and vaccination services); or

• immunisation and vaccination providers including pharmacy immunisers and Aboriginal Healthcare Workers

• roadside assistance services; or

• local government specific services such as:

• essential environmental health functions that protect the health and wellbeing of the community, and high-risk local law enforcement; or

• a member of Parliament or anyone required to ensure the functioning of the Victorian or Commonwealth of Australia Parliaments; or

• domestic and commercial waste and resource recovery services (including collection, treatment and disposal services and transfer stations), including:

• electricity services; and
• operation of energy systems; and
gas services; and
• water supply, sewerage and drainage services; and
• liquid fuels and refinery services; or

• services to support ongoing provision and regulation of electricity, gas, water, sewage and waste and recycling services and their maintenance; or

• Commonwealth agency services, including Australian Border Force and Commonwealth law enforcement and intelligence agency services; or

• services related to the administration of justice, including prison transfers; or

• essential legal services that are not able to be provided electronically, including urgent legal matters such as executing a will in-person; or

• journalist and media services; or

• feature film, television and documentary (excluding television commercials, student and corporate productions) that is already in physical production and operating as a closed set and post-production relating to it; or

• specialist services at telecommunications stores to support telecommunications as a critical service during the COVID-19 pandemic; or

• professional or high-performance sportsperson, workers that support the safe running of that person’s professional sport, and public broadcast personnel necessary for broadcasting the professional sport; or

• thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing, with necessary participants only; or

• a factory or facility that is not able to be shut down without causing damage or loss to plant and equipment, but only those operations that are necessary in order to prevent that damage or loss; or

• mining services including coal mining, oil and gas extraction, metal ore mining, non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying petroleum production; or

• building and construction services; or

• administrative services provided by an employer to enable its employees to work from home; or

• Example: Payroll and IT services.

• organisations that provide urgent services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises; or

• Example: the performance of emergency plumbing services, Centrelink services and foodbanks.

• public transport, including taxis, rideshare services, and other public passenger services; or

• air transport (including the operation of airports); or 

• port operations; or

• freight services (including postal and courier services); or

• a transport, freight or logistics driver; or

• National Heavy Vehicle Regulator compliance activities; or

• a blood bank or other bank services for the collection, storage and provision of donated biological material; or

• care services for people with particular needs because of homelessness, family violence, age, infirmity, disability, illness or a chronic health condition or other essential support services;

• truck stops and roadhouses, but not the provision of seated dining or shower facilities to persons who are not transport, freight or logistics drivers; or

• production and distribution of;

• food and groceries for sale by a supermarket, butcher, fruit and vegetable store, market or fishmonger (including for sale by operators of such premises at an indoor or outdoor market); or

• liquor for sale at a bottle shop; or

• medical and pharmaceutical products; or

• animal food and care products; or

• commercial operations that supply goods or service necessary:

• for the implementation of measures to limit the spread of COVID-19; or
• to support any business activity that may be carried out in accordance with these directions; or
•to support the export of goods and services from Victoria; or •
Example: manufacturing of personal protective equipment or hand sanitiser.

• the maintenance of other essential research activities for:

• management and care of critical living resources, and the equipment and materials they depend upon (e.g. feeding, husbandry, hydrating, routine care and checks of animals, plants, microbes and cell lines in controlled environment); or
• the storage and management of existing samples and data research infrastructure that are temperature and environmentally sensitive (e.g. biobank); or
• long-term experiments or studies that otherwise would be prohibitive to restart (e.g. commenced clinical trials); or
• research addressing the impact of COVID-19 and research in support of the hospital and broader health system; or

• the conduct of essential adult education services pertaining to the following occupations and activities for:

• training and assessment for infection control, high-risk work licenses and high-risk work credentials and construction induction (white card), that ensure workplace and public safety in permitted work premises or for permitted workers; or
• study for final year pre-service early childhood and school teachers (including placements); or
• final-year higher education students (i.e. in TEQSA-regulated courses), who do not have alternative options to complete their study by end of year; or
• first aid training where required for COVID response; or
• study for health care workers (including clinical placements); or
• apprentices training with an Authorised Provider or Authorised Worker; or
• clinical health and biomedical science (if required to be on site for the maintenance of essential research activities); or
• aged and disability care (including clinical placements); or
• mandatory assessments for VCE and VCAL students; or
• police Academy; or
• defence and national security agencies;

• primary industries only to the extent necessary to ensure animal rescue, adequate supply of food to, and care of, animals and maintenance of crops; or

• a hotel, motel or other accommodation facility to the extent that they provide accommodation services, including on a temporary basis for work purposes; or

• services related to property settlement or commencement/end-of-lease (including removalists); or

• forestry activity for the purposes of or relating to:

• production of firewood for heating of premises; or

• production of pallets; or

• production of building supplies for construction; or

• production of other goods required for other permitted activities (e.g. paper, packaging, caskets and coffins); or

• all manufacturing; or

• ancillary and support businesses are able to open on-site where necessary for the operations of an Authorised Provider, or for Closed Work Premises where there are safety or environmental obligations. The business cannot operate on-site for any other purpose:

• Examples: production, supply, manufacture, repair, maintenance, cleaning, security, wholesale, distribution, transportation or sale of equipment, goods or services essential to the operation of the Authorised Provider.

• union/peak body/employer organisation officials attending a worksite as permitted by law or for Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) advice

• a person who is:

• critical to, and involved in, the State’s COVID-19 response (including in hotel quarantine); or
• a fly in fly out worker or a drive in drive out worker who is required for industry or business continuity and maintenance of a competitive operation where the service is time-critical, who is responsible for critical maintenance or repair of infrastructure critical to a region of, or to, Victoria; or
• maritime crew; or
• a necessary individual for the purposes of the major event where that event has an exemption from CHO allowing it to proceed, including any workers and public broadcast personnel that support the safe running of the major event.

• farm animal and bloodstock leasing activities, including:

• farming activities and other operations relating to agriculture, horticulture, viticulture, irrigation, permaculture, apiculture, grains, fibre production, dairy, flower industry, commercial fishing, aquaculture and livestock; or • intensive agricultural production including; greenhouses and animal production; or
• agricultural, veterinary chemicals and vaccine production, transportation and distribution (including the Pig Services Centre); or
• laboratory and diagnostic services; or
• animal feed production, transportation, packaging, sale, and feeding (including livestock and pets); or
• animal pounds and shelters (no public access).

• a business or undertaking providing essential support services to permitted agriculture, forestry and fishing activities, such as food safety and verification, inspection or associated laboratory services and biosecurity functions.

Authorised Health Services

Any provider of:

• emergency surgery, procedures and medical consulting undertaken for the investigation, diagnosis and management of conditions where failure to do so expediently and safely will lead to the following outcomes:

• loss of life; or
• loss of limb; or
• permanent disability; or

• non-emergency but urgent surgery, procedures and medical consulting undertaken for the investigation, diagnosis and management of conditions where failure to do so in a clinically appropriate timeframe will lead to a predictable and evidence-based outcome as follows:

• loss of life where appropriate health intervention would otherwise have prevented this; or
• permanent disability where appropriate health intervention would otherwise have prevented this; or
• where clinical evidence supports an increased risk of a type referred to in the above points should appropriate health intervention be significantly delayed; or • emergency and licensed non-emergency patient transport; or

• any health services provided under the auspices of a hospital, urgent care centre or similar service including bush nursing centres; or

• any health services provided by a general practitioner; or

• any health services provided by a nursing professional or midwife; or

• any health services provided at a hospital radiology service (other than routine screening services); or

• procedures and surgical treatment undertaken by oral health professionals (e.g. dentists and oral health therapists) in the management of patients with urgent needs that include:

• facial swelling
• intra-oral swelling
• facial trauma
• dental trauma
• significant/constant/uncontrollable pain

• procedures to complete:

• any cycle of IVF treatment that a patient has commenced before the commencement of the defined period; or 
• any procedure required for the preservation of eggs for future IVF where required health treatment will render eggs non-viable; or
• surgical termination of pregnancy; or
• drug and alcohol services; or

• the following allied health services:

• allied health services provided by allied health professionals working as authorised workers in hospitals or in residential care facilities providing critical clinical care or as directed by the hospital; or
• allied health workers professionals working in private or public community services, whether clinic-based or home-based, providing essential clinical care where telehealth services are not clinically appropriate; or
• allied health services provided by allied health professionals working in private practice providing care through telehealth and other virtual care options;
•students, medical/nursing/midwifery/allied health on placement providing authorised care in hospitals or in residential care facilities, or through telehealth; or

• the conduct of human medical research trials; or

•the following mental health services:
• the hospital emergency or inpatient psychiatric services; or
• allied health professionals providing mental health services in hospital; or
• private consultant psychiatry practice by telehealth, or by face-to-face (but only for urgent care where telehealth is not clinically appropriate); or
• allied health professionals providing mental health services in community settings by telehealth, or by face-to-face (but only for urgent care where telehealth is not clinically appropriate)

• but does not include:

• cosmetic surgery or other procedures not addressing significant medical conditions.


  • If you are experiencing family violence or violence by another person in the home, and you are at risk, safe accommodation and support for family violence is available. Call safe steps on 1800 015 188 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for help 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Information Sourced From Statement from the Premier 15 July 

Other ways to stay safe

  • Always wash your hands before you leave, and when you return home. 
  • Keep at least 1.5 metres between yourself and others.
  • Never, ever go out if you are unwell unless it is to get tested. 
  • After you get tested, you must go straight home. 
  • Remember that the most important thing you can do is get tested, even if you have the mildest of symptoms.
  • Get vaccinated if you are eligible.

Record Keeping and QR Codes

From Friday 28 May:

Venues must also provide an alternative record-keeping system for people who do not have or cannot use a device to scan the QR code. This could include making a service available for people to use (like an iPad).

Providing a pen and paper for manual record-keeping is okay if electronic record keeping is temporarily unavailable – for example, an internet outage.

More information about the Victorian QR Check-in.

Victoria is moving to mandatory QR codes check-in for all workplaces.

Travel permit system

From 21st July the only people who will get a permit to travel from a Red Zone, are authorised workers, or who are seeking compassionate exemption.

No further red zone travel in the next 2 weeks.

The travel permit system is a traffic light system that allows areas across Australia and New Zealand to be designated as green, orange or red zones according to their current level of risk.

All of NSW and ACT has been declared a Red Zone from 11.59 PM, Sunday 11 July 2021.

Brisbane, Moreton Bay and the Sunshine Coast in Queensland have all been declared an orange zone from 11.59 PM, Saturday 10 July 2021.

Everywhere else in Australia is currently a green zone, meaning you can travel from these areas to Victoria once you have been approved for a travel permit. 

Apply for the Victorian Travel Permit

You can apply for a permit at the Service Victoria website.

More information

Find out more about the permit system, which applies to travellers coming to Victoria from anywhere in Australia or New Zealand here: Victorian Travel Permit System

Need to talk to someone about this?

If you suspect you may have COVID-19 call the dedicated hotline – open 24 hours, 7 days. Call the 24/7 Coronaivrus Hotline 1800 675 398.

Call the Disability Gateway for free on 1800 643 787.

The Gateway operates Monday to Friday from 8 am to 8 pm.

Go to Information for people with disability - coronavirus (COVID-19) for all the Victorian Health Department resources for people with disabilities. 

IDEAS does information so you can do life.